Whisper in the Wind
I am totally confident that God speaks to individuals daily. He has spoken to me all of my life, but I didn't really know it was Him until about 10 years ago. That's when I read these words from the book of John:
Jhn 10:14-16 KJV - I am the good shepherd, and know my [sheep], and am known of mine. As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep. And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, [and] one shepherd.
This scripture changed my life. I remember thinking, "I am a sheep." "I'm one of the other sheep that He is bringing in." God says, "they shall hear my voice". I must be able to hear His voice.
So the next day I went to the Christian book store, paused at the door before entering and asked God, "please show me a book, a title, a cover picture, something that will stop me in my tracks so I know that you are going to teach me how to hear your voice."
I didn't get far before that happened. On the 1st end cap of the 1st row sat a book called, "How to listen to God." by Charles Stanley. Awesome! A tangible answer to my prayer, in print. No questioning that.
As I began to read, Charles explained how God uses His Word, circumstances, events, thoughts, dreams, other people, and audible voice to get our attention. His voice is often time still and quiet, hard to "hear", subtle. I had an encounter with the Holy Spirit while I read those pages. I don't know why but I began to think of my brother while I was reading. He had nothing to do with the topic. It just popped into my mind. These were my thoughts: "I should go and ask my brother to come and sit with me inside of the church today at service." See my brother didn't like going into the sanctuary in our church. He felt uncomfortable, so he sat out in the lobby. I wanted to invite him to come and sit with me. Now I did not speak that, those were the thoughts inside my head. At that very instant, the instant that thought entered my mind, my mom walked around the corner, sat down next to me and said, "I think that maybe you should talk to your brother and ask him to come and sit with us today in church." "I've asked him several times but maybe he'll respond if you ask him."
My jaw just about hit the floor. There was no doubt in my mind that God had just spoke to both of us! He whispered so quietly that it sound like one of my own thoughts. Of course I asked my brother to come in with us. He didn't come in, but a relationship began with that "thought". I can be obedient to God's will because He speaks. I just need to learn how to listen.
There are many, many many more examples of the presence of God's Holy Spirit active in my life. And this solidified it for me. He knows me personally and wants to use me to reach others. So now that I know the Spirit is in me, here is the next scriptures to ponder:
Rom 8:11 NIV - And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit, who lives in you.
Act 1:8 NIV - But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."
Jhn 10:14-16 KJV - I am the good shepherd, and know my [sheep], and am known of mine. As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep. And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, [and] one shepherd.
This scripture changed my life. I remember thinking, "I am a sheep." "I'm one of the other sheep that He is bringing in." God says, "they shall hear my voice". I must be able to hear His voice.
So the next day I went to the Christian book store, paused at the door before entering and asked God, "please show me a book, a title, a cover picture, something that will stop me in my tracks so I know that you are going to teach me how to hear your voice."
I didn't get far before that happened. On the 1st end cap of the 1st row sat a book called, "How to listen to God." by Charles Stanley. Awesome! A tangible answer to my prayer, in print. No questioning that.
As I began to read, Charles explained how God uses His Word, circumstances, events, thoughts, dreams, other people, and audible voice to get our attention. His voice is often time still and quiet, hard to "hear", subtle. I had an encounter with the Holy Spirit while I read those pages. I don't know why but I began to think of my brother while I was reading. He had nothing to do with the topic. It just popped into my mind. These were my thoughts: "I should go and ask my brother to come and sit with me inside of the church today at service." See my brother didn't like going into the sanctuary in our church. He felt uncomfortable, so he sat out in the lobby. I wanted to invite him to come and sit with me. Now I did not speak that, those were the thoughts inside my head. At that very instant, the instant that thought entered my mind, my mom walked around the corner, sat down next to me and said, "I think that maybe you should talk to your brother and ask him to come and sit with us today in church." "I've asked him several times but maybe he'll respond if you ask him."
My jaw just about hit the floor. There was no doubt in my mind that God had just spoke to both of us! He whispered so quietly that it sound like one of my own thoughts. Of course I asked my brother to come in with us. He didn't come in, but a relationship began with that "thought". I can be obedient to God's will because He speaks. I just need to learn how to listen.
There are many, many many more examples of the presence of God's Holy Spirit active in my life. And this solidified it for me. He knows me personally and wants to use me to reach others. So now that I know the Spirit is in me, here is the next scriptures to ponder:
Rom 8:11 NIV - And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit, who lives in you.
Act 1:8 NIV - But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."
Comments
Post a Comment